Sunday, December 11, 2005

Windows Vista build 5259 review

Installation:
As with Windows XP, Vista offers a streamlined gui installation, that's pretty much self-explanatory. Microsoft has streamlined it a bit more; however, now you will only need to choose your installation type, where to install, product key, region and the name of your computer. The rest is automatically completed with no "click here to continue with installation" nonsense. The one thing that I did notice was that installing Vista takes awhile; up to an hour, which is probably accentuated by the fact that the installer gives little feedback to the end-user, about what the installer is doing.

The windows installer barely tells you about what it's doing. (left)


First Impressions:
Not suprisingly, Windows vista looks pretty good; perhaps a bit overdone, but decent looking for sure. The first impression I got was that Vista certainly looks a lot better than XP, and I quite like the fading effects. The aero glass effects, on the other hand, I hate.... no I loathe them. They waste RAM and clock-cycles, and for what? Most of the time it looks like crap, not that anyone actually pays attention to the very top of apps anyway. Calling Microsoft an amateur at GUI design wouldn't be too harsh, because it's evident from Vista that this is true. Not you might be asking yourself: "Calm down, there's only a little bit of aero glass in Vista." Unfortunately, this couldn't be farther from the truth. It's on the start menu (build 5259), the task bar, sidebar, wmp.... in short it's everywhere you look. It should be mentioned that you can turn aero glass off, but I think that it would have looked better if they didn't use it spiratically.

Lasting impression:
Microsoft is trying too hard with their GUI, it's over-done and tacky.

Search, IE7 and Organization OH MY!

Taking the wind from Apple's sails, Vista has implemented a search function; which can find apps, files, and words within files. I tried renaming some of my music files, to see if Vista could really search for metadata. In the picture (sorry about the size, I type in Muse as the artist for the particular file Ihave selected. Changing metadata in Vista is pretty easy, indeed. When I searched for "muse"; however, to my chagrin, it couldn't find the file which I just had added the metadata "muse" to. Very, very disappointing. In the coming days I'll be writing more, hopefully Vista will suprise me with something good.... or maybe not.


When I added the word "muse", to the "specify albumn artist" dialog box. I still could not find the file, when searching for "muse".


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home